This 12-month program is designed to teach the skills necessary to lead and manage successful emergency departments through didactic sessions, experiential learning, and focused interaction with seasoned mentors. It is designed primarily for physicians from outside of North America, who currently hold or are interested in holding a leadership role in a high-volume Emergency Department.
The Program is part of the International Emergency Department Leadership Institute (IEDLI), an educational initiative of the Department of Emergency Medicine at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, Massachusetts, USA. The IEDLI program faculty and mentors are all Harvard-affiliated emergency department attending physicians with real world experience at one of the top hospitals in the US.
The specific areas of focus of the Program will include skills development in:
|Senior Administrative Leadership||ED Operations|
|Healthcare Quality and Patient Safety||Informatics|
|Physician Post-Graduate Medical Education||Medical Student Education|
IEDLI Trainees will:
- Participate in and lead individualized Emergency Department leadership projects
- Attend, contribute to, and help organize hospital management meetings
- Attend didactic sessions
- Complete focused research projects
- Attend the annual Leadership Essentials Course
As the focus of the program is on developing leadership and management skills, there is no specific clinical component to the program. However, trainees will have regularly scheduled clinical observational shifts in the emergency department and participate in departmental clinical conferences in order to maintain their contact and exposure to clinical practice.
- Current license to practice medicine in the Trainee’s home country, with significant experience working in an Emergency Department.
- Current position or desired position in Emergency Department leadership.
- Fluency in English.
- Verification of tuition payment plan by Trainee or home institution.
How to Apply
Applications to the program are accepted on a rolling basis. Program start dates are flexible.
Please submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement describing your motivations for wanting to pursue advanced training in Emergency Department Leadership and Management
- Three letters of recommendation from clinical supervisors, including one from your current supervisor